Saturday, September 15, 2012

Day 39, 40, 41 Lancaster, PA


After leaving Boston, we spent the first day driving through Massachusetts, Rhode Island, Connecticut and into Pennsylvania. Our destination was Washington D.C. but when we realized how close we were to Lancaster, the home of the largest Amish community, we made a little detour and stayed a couple days there. As I've previously mentioned, I really love the Amish people so this was one of the most special stops for me. It was everything I'd hoped it to be. We stopped at a Mennonite information center where they told us all about the Amish people and we got to watch a movie about how they were originally formed and it was incredible! They just love God and want to be set apart from the world... I hadn't even known, but after Hurricane Katrina, a large group of Amish and Mennonite raised their own funds to go all the way from Pennsylvania to Louisiana to help with the rebuilding. How awesome is that?

So after learning some history we headed right into the Amish farms and had one of the best days, stopping to talk to Amish people, buying all these delicious baked goods, homemade jams and sauces and little quilted things from different families. We also kept seeing signs for homemade rootbeer so we decided to stop at one farm and try it. Now I've heard my mom's stories of her dad making homemade rootbeer and how disgusting it was, so my expectations weren't very high, but this Amish rootbeer was the best rootbeer I've ever had in my life! And we bought a big jug to bring home, so if you want to try it, come find us when we're back in Seattle!

We also went to the local farmer's market, which the Amish girl at the bake shop had recommended we go see. Everything was so fresh and delicious and the people were so nice. Amish people are honestly the nicest people I've ever met. I mean at some of the places where we went, other tourists where treating the Amish people like they were some rare animal breed taking all these pictures of them and asking all these really dumb questions. And the Amish people were always just really gracious and answered their questions as if they didn't care at all. I don't know about you, but I wouldn't have patience for that. As fascinated as I am with their culture, I tried really hard not to just gawk or to take pictures of them directly as if their some tourist attraction and not real people. So Alex and I decided we are for sure going to spend at least a summer at some point in our lives living with the Amish people!


 

1 comment: